The Australian Roots Music Awards were created to acknowledge and unearth the hidden song writing gems in Australia. Fame and industry status doesn’t play a part in deciding the winners of these awards as it’s only the songs themselves that matter.
There are 3 awards given each year:
1. The Karl Broadie Best Single Award
2. The Anthony Lycenko Best Album Award
3. The Bob Brown Best Protest Song.
The best 3 in each category are sent to our esteemed industry judges that choose the winner.
Prizes for 2021 include:
- The Karl Broadie Best Single winner receives a demo recording with Australian top producer Rod McCormack at his studio – The Music Cellar on the central coast of NSW. Rod has produced and recorded Paul Kelly amongst others in the very same studio! See below.
- The Anthony Lycenko Best Album Award winner receives a publicity starter pack album promo from Stuart Coup. Stuart is an award winning journalist and one of Australia’s top music industry stalwarts. See below.
- The Bob Brown Best Protest Song winner receives a guaranteed spot at Nimbin Roots Festival 2022!
- All winners receive a trophy.
- Chosen finalists have a chance to perform at the Awards gala evening which will be held as part of the Nimbin Roots Festival opening night on Friday 10
Rod McCormack (born 13 February 1963) is an Australian record producer, musician and songwriter. McCormack is responsible for many high selling and award-winning albums and was named Country Music Awards of Australia Producer of the year in 2004, 2008 and again in 2010. He has written over 30 number one country hits and has produced albums for Gina Jeffreys, Paul Kelly, Troy Cassar-Daley, Adam Harvey, Beccy Cole amongst others.
Stuart Coupe (born 11 September 1956) is an Australian music journalist, author, band manager, promoter, publicist and music label founder. He is best known for his work as a rock writer with Roadrunner (Australian music magazine), RAM (Rock Australia Magazine), The Sun-Herald, and Dolly (magazine); the music labels, GREEN Records and Laughing Outlaw; and the author of books including The Promoters, Gudinski, and Roadies.
Coupe is a former manager of the Australian bands Hoodoo Gurus and Paul Kelly (Australian musician) and is currently a presenter on Sydney radio stations 2SER and FBI Radio. He is also known for his writing as a reviewer of crime fiction for the Sydney Morning Herald and for founding the Australian crime fiction magazine, Mean Streets.
Chief Executive Officer at the Bob Brown Foundation. Former fundraising coordinator for Greenpeace. Plus Steven us the brother and brother in-law of Nimbin Roots Festival directors Lou and Phil!
Please note your submission is $20 per category entry. Your submission isn’t valid until payment is received.